Can't beat the price - Nat'l Magazine Xchange

Sure, it's a little off putting to call in, and be offered magazines. But what do you expect -- some guy in Clearwater Florida is just going to cough up $2 million out of love? I thought the price was awesome, and they don't charge s&h or tax. The price of entering the sweepstakes? Nada. Okay, they want 100 words. You can actually get a ton of magazines for the same price, and send 'em to your loved ones at no extra cost. Like, if you want to send your little daughter a magazine so she gets mail in her name. Cool.

The company has had numerous complaints with the Florida BBB. Read some of the other comments because this one was most likely posted by someone affiliated with the company.

Keep close tabs on your elderly parents and grandparents because they are easily roped in and if they do fall into the trap, call your credit card company IMMEDIATELY !!! Just say the company's acronym "NME" three times fast and you will get my drift.....

Tampa, Florida

This is a scam I would like my money back that was taken

The company started taking money out of my account before I even had a choice to receive magazines or not and I would like to get my money back that was already taken out of my account what you all is doing is wrong and I am not paying for anything that I don't want. I a very tired of people calling me tring to get me to pay for something I do not want. I was told that I would be getting magazines for free and the company started taking sixty nine dollars out of my account and it was done twice

Do you need help with getting your money back? If so, let me know.Margie512-341-****

Atlanta, Georgia

STOLE MY MONEY

THIS FRAUD CO CHARGED MY CREDIT CARD FOR SEVEN (7) MONTHS AT $12.99 PER MONTH AND I HAD NO CLUE IT WAS HAPPENING. I CONTACTED THEM AND THEY STATED THAT I APPROVED THIS SUBSCRIPTION WHEN I ORDERED FROM "NATIONAL MAGAZINE EXCHANGE" (NME). I ONLY ORDERED FROM ME IN ORDER TO HELP OUT A SCHOOL SUPPORTED FUNCTION WHICH WAS RAISING MONEY FOR SMALL SCHOOL KIDS. WHEN I QUESTIONED THE CHARGES THEY TOLD ME THAT I WAS WELCOME TO TERMINATE MY SUBSCRIPTION (WHICH I NEVER APPROVED) BUT THAT I WASN'T ENTITLED TO A REFUND OR CREDIT ON THE SAME CARD IN WHICH THEY STOLE FROM ME FOR SEVEN MONTHS.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Ripped me off!

I ordered ONE magazine from National Magazine exchange, and they signed me up for at least eight others that I do NOT want. Now they refuse to cancel the unwanted ones. I will be contacting my lawyer if something is not done about this!!! I am a women who obviously doesn't want road and track, motor trend, hallmark or the rest of the magazines of which I have never even heard of.What can I do ?? I will card my Credit Card company and tell them to stop payment, if this is not corrected ASAP!! They are a ripoff!!!
North Liberty, Iowa

Verified Reviewer

Very Tricky

Yeah I almost fell for this scam. They are very smooth and don't take no for an answer. Fortunately for me when I was going to get my credit card the conversation was cut off, so they didn't get the info they needed. Every time I asked about their billing process they wouldn't tell me insisting that they first need to know which credit card I would use and the expiration date. I had a gut feeling something wasn't right. No one should be tricked into a commitment like that. They just want that card number.
#193282

Here are the rules, and they are definitely in your favour, and by all means this is a surefire way to make NME go away finally. Spread the word because this is all you have to do and this is what THEY, by LAW, have to do.

There is no purchase or payment required to enter or win any of the sweepastkes they offer,

Once your sweepstakes entry number is entered, you are in the system and you could be the next winner, the next drawing is to be on or about 03 of 2012. Once you're number is entered you can simply say 'thank you' and hang up,

There is no charge for the call,

You can call again and ask for what's called a manual entry, SSAs MUST honour your request and manually enter your name, address, and city & state and zip code info. Once that's in you can simply and politely say thank you and just hang up. You can do this as often as you like in order to increase your odds at winning the sweepstakes and doing this repeatedly will definitely keep SSAs busy with manual entries and you don't have to give them any chance at pitching you anything or getting any further info out of you,

They must notify you by phone or mail if you are the selected winner so be sure and let them confirm your home telephone number,

If you are the selected winner they must fly you first-class to Clearwater Florida and present you your winning check in a special awards ceremony, so good luck to you,

That's it. The rules are in your favour and you don't have to listen to a thing that they have to say beyond the scope of the sweepstakes and you are never obligated to buy anything or even discuss anything further with them. You're in, you're entered into the weepstakes and they MUST pay you the winnings if you are the selected grand prize winner.

Keep their SSAs busy with manual entries as well as with initial entries via the ID number on the card they mail you, you are entitled to do so, and they are required by law to cater to your requests! Soon enough the company wil fold and buckle under the very policies they have put in place for its customers and we have one less crooked telemarketing scam to worry about, or NME will finally get the message and if they want bad enough to stay in business they'll treat their customers with respect and not try at all anymore to scam every customer, and their sales will come naturally thru the means of satisfied customers who could then trust NME. As it is now NME cannot by any means be trusted and their current policies of scamming customers with their fast and smoot *** games must be put to an abrupt end, and this is the way us customers are able to do it, if we unite and work dilligently together on this plan.

WOW, I can't believe they're still sending out stuff...EVERYONE should ALWAYS check online if you're not sure about something! THANK YOU EVERYONE for posting!!!

View more comments (1)
Walnut Creek, California
National Magazine Exchange Subscription

They kept my credit card on file and used it without my permission

About a year ago, I made a purchase for a magazine subscription through NME. They sent me all the wrong magazines. I am a white, female vegetarian who ended up with a subscription to BASS Fishing, Latino,Vibe and a couple other magazines I didn't order or recognize. Although, I did enjoy the Latino fashion and music reviews in Vibe; I didn't order them. After many phone calls to NME, the admitted the order I placed had to have substitutions made. I requested they cancel my order over several months and phone calls; they finally cancelled my order and provided a pro-rated refund. I became involved with NME again recently when attempting to enter publishers clearinghouse giveaway. The salesman on the phone talked so fast about selling so many things, asking if I would like free watches and that he could give me other free things. I couldn't keep up. When he finally took a breath; I asked him, "Could you please mail me all of this in writing, it's too confusing to sort out what you are offering over the phone?" Finally, he agreed to mail the information; but with one stipulation, He said, "We need to confirm the expiration date on your credit card to make sure you have one. I express my concern and confusion. But I was tired of the verbal banter so.... I confirmed with him, "I will give you the expiration date, but I will not buy anything until I review it in writing. Well, as it turned out he had my card on file (from my prior purchase). He used my credit card to sign me up for subscriptions to many magazines. I received the information in the mail. It was simply a confirmation telling me my magazine purchase was complete and I only needed to choose my free gift(s), sign the entry form and mail it back. I called them and requested an explanation. Basically, they lied and said that I gave them my credit card number over the phone and authorized the purchase. I remembered the call was recorded as told to me by the Salesman at the beginning of his call. After much negotiation, I spoke to a supervisor who was,at best, sarcastic to me. He accused me of lying and asked, "So are you saying someone else called us and placed this order". To which I replied, "No, I'm saying I never gave out my Credit card info on that call and insisted that I would not buy anything until I reviewed the info that was coming in the mail. I asked him if he would please listen to the tape of the call. But the calls are "only for training purposes" he replied. I don't know how to remove my credit card information back from them. They are a big ***!
Tucson, Arizona

National Magazine Exchange needs taken down

I called after receiving my letter to verify entry into their sweepstakes. ($2.1 million). I said from the start that I didn't want to purchase anything. Long story short, I was offered 'free' magazines, 2 watches, and a PDA. Transferred me to the supervisor and he wanted a credit card # for FOUR payments of $67.00 a month. HA. I refused to give my # over the phone. He said "what's wrong? The amount too much? You're close to your credit card limit aren't you?" I assured him I had several thousand in credit left on my card I was not wanting to purchase anything or give my #. He said "what's your problem? You wanted more magazines right?" I said that I was told they were free and I changed my mind if I had to pay. He was very rude and I ended up hanging up on him.
#193295

It's simple and works in favour of the folks who receive entry cards. Once the sweepstakes entry number is entered, that's it! The customer is in the system and has fair chance of winning the sweepstakes. Once past that point simply and politely say thank you and hang up. They're not allowed to call the customer back.

The rules state that no customer is ever obligated to make a purchase, there's no charge for the call and the company MUST provide the selected winner with FIRST-CLASS transportation to company headquarthers in Clearwater, FLorida and present the grand prize winner with a check in a special awards ceremony.

While it seems three mags for $1.29 plus the free watches is a fairly unbeatable deal and it is, it should be left at that and without all the shenanigans that take place in Verification department, what with all the slick talk, clever wording and needless upselling they are trained to levy upon every customer by means of a strictly-enforced script. That's where the trouble is.

But the customer doesn't need to buy into any of that, in fact anything beyond the scope of entering into the sweepstakes is moot and until NME management gets that, we as a customer are never obligated to committ to anything further than entering into the sweepstakes and saying thank you, and then hanging up.

From this point NME customers can legally unite by notice of this posting, and by knowing these things and limiting our discussions with NME over the phone strictly to matters pertaining to the sweepstakes and getting entered into it, we can in fact take the company down or at leas bring it to a point where if they want to stay in business badly enough they will damnsight revamp their policies pertaining to honest customer service and fair employee treatment. We the customers are their future and we, as we unite and go to work on this plan, can indeed take NME down because as it stands now they've been asking for it.

omg *** this ***

I'm sorry for your bad experience. I am an old employee of the company, as with anything, there are good and bad people that work there. There are some that are good at thier jobs, and others, well, you've already experienced it. The magazines are not FREE, nor was it ever mentioned in the script that they were free. The free portion of the pitch are the diamond watches, and then the PDA. The company IS legitimate, the sweepstakes IS real, etc. My 4 years at SDP, I tried to be as honest, and understanding with people as possible. There have been misunderstandings that people genuinely didn't understand the concept of the program, and that's what the "supervisors" job is to do, clarify things; not make things worse by being rude and badgering the customer. Because of the nature of the business, the company is heavily regulated, records each and every call, and if that person persists they will be "written up" for not doing thier job correctly.

All you can do, if you don't wish to buy something and someone is trying to make you, is NOT to buy it at all, or hang up.

As I mentioned before, I do not work there anymore, nor did I work in the department that people call to try to cancel. But for those of you that are trying to cancel and are having trouble...let them know you will call the authorities, call the attorney general's office, the BBB, etc. Let them know you mean business if you don't get your subscriptions cancelled. I have heard of people cancelling if they just put a little effort into it and do a little threatening. I know it's not the way things SHOULD be, but that's the way things are. We don't live in a should/should not world. And if all that doesn't work, hang up, call back and get someone else that will listen to you. Keep doing that until you get your subscriiptions cancelled.

I hope this helps all of the people in one way or another.

View more comments (2)
Portsmouth, Ohio

National Mag Exchange plays hard ball scam

Got 'hinky' feeling after providing ID # & contact info & told I had would receive 2 'diamond watches' and 3 mag subscriptions for $1.29 just for calling. Next was passed onto a "supervisor" who wanted my credit card # to bill me $1.29/week plus add more magazines. Supervisor was irate when I wouldn't provide card number (I really didn't want any 'stuff')...kept hounding me for "a good reason why" I said I already told her..she continued to hound me and then I hung up and checked out reports on the net...yup, my suspicions were confirmed!

I'm not trying to make fun of you but with your abuse towards the english language. I'm not really sure what to say.

:( Just got off the phone, had to hang up, she was going to renew my subscriptions I have through other means (ie free subscriptions from when I was pregnant, MADD, and fundraisers.) Which I fully intend on letting run out. the first lady was very nice and just switched me to her supervisor.

It was downhill from there the comment by Formerly_In is dead on. I told her I don't have the means to pay for this and I only have the one account. She'd say "well you can pay it out of any account w/ a visa/ mastercard on it."

What do you not get about I have one account and the words NO THANK YOU!!!!!!!

After going round and round for a couple minutes she says"Let me send you over to my pay by check department.....

Royally peeved at this place. I hung up during the transfer.

ALL THIS IS YOU FINE OUT YOU HAVE A BIG SCAM ON SOME MONEY TO YOU :( :roll :? I JUST DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY THEY DO THIS AT ALL WE ALL KNOW IT IS ALL A (SCAM )

#193429

I can offer some helpful tips for customers from an insider's point of view, since I recently had the sheer non-joy of working there...

First you can enter more often than just once, and each time you enter, all you need to do is give them your ID number and confirm with them your first & last names. They got all the rest, except your credit or debit card of course. You're in! You are successfully entered into the official sweepstakes. You can enter again maybe once a week thereafter and you can also enter your spouse, in the form of a manual entry. The sales associates are instructed to handle your manual entry and also read to you your new sweepstakes identification number that the manual entry will automatically generate. Write that down, then say thank you and hang up. That's all!

If your name is drawn as the grand prize winner, by law they have to pay you! Meanwhile you are never at an obligation to purchase anything or make a payment of any kind. Let them keep the watches, the Blackberry and the electronic organizer they try to bait you with!

Thank you to everyone who has told the truth on the site I was about to be suckered by the million dollar scam too :(

well I just got rip off by them all becuase of the 2,100,000 sweepstake thinking that I would win. ****

:( these losers are trying to put bad credit on my record for something I never recieved and the "lady" even told me they never sent it to me and they want me to pay them 278 dollars for something I dont have!!!She said they are reporting me to the debt agency I amlost cussed her out but I kept my temper

I work for this company and we do NOT rip anyone off. You will recieve 10 magazines for one year of service for only 67.08.

You have to agree this is a GREAT value> Yes we do try hard to pull your credit card number as its how we are paid..by commision..BUT your card number is completely safe. We wouldnt still be in business since 1984 if we did illegal practices

:( I am interested in knowing how a company like this one, National Magazine Exchange, is able to continue to plague consumers and no one shut them down. Any advise on cancelling subscriptions?

:( I am currently trying to cancel my order with this company and am getting nowhere. Any Advice from anyone?

View more comments (10)
Denver, Colorado

I was suckered again

I recieved a letter stating I was entered into a sweepstakes from a magazine company and I called them and they were pursuing that I recieve these magazine whether I want them or not ,like they don't hear you say I DON'T WANT THE MAGAZINES!!!!!!! So I'm...

If they sent you a bill, ignore. Do not pay!

If you charged it on a credit card, contact them and request that they do not pay.

Good luck.

View more comments

Fraud

This is the worst company to get magazine from its a fraud want u call for isn't what u want i tried to cancel they want let u who on this earth will pay $200.00 dollars for a *** magazine no one i hate national magazine u can shove it. i don't like the magazine i want to send them back this is not a good company if they call don't answer they must be a fool that people will that price for a magazine that all most high as my light bill keep the magazine i don't it.

This person is telling the truth.

Thank you so much for the information

#193378

Former Employee of National Ma, that\'s right. The company does indeed go through an alarming number of new hires and trainees every week and the rate of it is quite scary.

I was lucky to have been there long enough to get an invitation from management to train for the position of Verifier, to a customer I would\'ve become what\'s known to them as a \'Supervisor.\' But once I got a look at how the verifier\'s script was written and the way it is worded in a way that fools the customer, as well as the way it is engineered to capture the customer\'s money at the push of one button by the varifier, I knew then I might not be in a safe and reputable workplace.The company management, its trainers and team leaders all really liked the way I sounded on the phone and the way I was able to really bring the script to life so it sounds like I\'m talking to you like a friend, but I\'m sorry, I left because I had the notion that if I stayed I might end up getting inadvertently caught up in some sort of legal issue brought on by the company\'s negligence to respect customers and their bank accounts.Shortly after I leave I hear that the company\'s operations manger has the bad habit of sexually harrassing company employees, male, and female! I don\'t need to be working for a ***, nor end up getting caught up in any of his perverted exploits. That\'s just what I heard and if it is true the guy needs to not only go away from the company but also he should be branded a sex offender and locked up. Imagine somebody so bold as to exploit his employees, and I wonder whether his exploits may have extended beyond the bounds of his company.

Whew! That\'s scary, folks, whaddaya think?

#193313

That's right! NME does scam customers via the methods they use of upselling and constantly baiting the customer with freebies and extra mags.

Customers, all you need to do when you call is give them your ID number and that gets you entered into their sweepstakes, which is very real by the way, and then tell them thank you and hang up. By law they gotta put your name into the sweepstakes and you could be the next winner!

So it goes when you call:

SSA: 'Sweepstakes Entry Center, may I please have your ID number?'

Customer: (You then read to them your sweepstakes ID number i the card they mailed you).

SSA: 'My name's [SSA's name], how're you doing today?'

Customer: 'Fine today. Thanks for entering me.' [customer can hang up at that point, that's all there is that's needed, NME already has the rest of your contact information].

That's it! So by all means it's your right by the invitation card they sent you to enter into the sweepstakes, and from that point you're done. You can also call again within a week or so and enter again by asking the SSA to enter you as a 'manual entry.' The SSA HAS to do it for you, by company policy. Entering in multiple times is legal and increases your odds of being drawn as the grand prize winner in the next sweepstakes drawing, which will occur on or abour March of 2012. That's it! Done! You're in like Flinn and there is never an obligation for you to buy anything and you don't have to listen to any of the SSA's spiels about magazines nor take the bait of the free watches because they aren't worth the trouble.

Customers, if we unite and follow this simple plan, we can still have our shot at the sweepstakes grand prizes they offer, and we escape their vile and slick upselling tactics, thereby protecting our bank accounts! Don'r even let NME get so much as a sniff of your bank account or credit card information!

View more comments (3)
Jackson, Mississippi

Highlights magazine and national magazine exchange

Highlights Magazine sold my seven year old daughter's name to American List Council who sold it to National Magazine Exchange. I just received a $2,100,000 sweepstakes entry addressed to her. I 'googled' the sender (National Magazine Exchange) and found their name on this site and many others outing them as an unscrupulous company -- as if the sweepstakes offer didn't say that already. I thought immediately of Highlights because we just received one in the mail. Come on! HIGHLIGHTS! I expect better. The worst is that you sign up for these through school and they've been around FOREVER, so you assume that they are a reputable company. With so much identity theft these days you can never be too careful. I did just call them and they promised not to sell her or my name to anyone else. We'll see!
Raleigh, North Carolina

Tried to cancel my order

I tried to cancel my order due to my financial situation with my daughters dad and told them I couldnt do the payments and I had to cancel my order because I was screwed over my daughters dad with money and they told me they couldnt cancle because they had already paid...

I am going through the same thing cannot get a response from them how do I go about them to stop taking it out of my account

View more comments
Saint Louis, Missouri

They sent more than agreed and charged for it

Natioanal Magazine Exchange is BAD. They make adeal with you giving you a free offer period, and after they continue to delivere magazines that you dont want . After comes a CHARGE... Shame and cheaters they are I dont have time to say all mean words that I would have tell them if I could This is all wrong and not fair at all They are so bad, mean, and cheaters They are so bad, mean, and cheaters They are so bad, mean, and cheaters They are so bad, mean, and cheaters They are so bad, mean, and cheaters They are so bad, mean, and cheaters

Misleading Telemarketer NME makes 4 charges not 1

These leaches piggybacked on to a call my wife made for some other product she wanted. They painted a pretty picture of a great deal for some decent magazines she wanted. What they didn't say was that there would be 4 payments instead of a one-time payment as she was lead to believe. What a scam! On the phone they say one thing, then get your credit card and make the first charge immediately. Later the fine print comes in the mail with the statement that I admit we should have read, but who reads this stuff? Well, we will from now on!

REALLY!!!! People, YOU CALLED ME, You have been explained everything several times during the call, YOU have the power to hang up the phone, YOU said YES in no uncertial terms of your own free will which is clearly recorded.

You went to the wallet or purse, what ever, fetched YOUR CREDIT/DEBIT card and gave it to the next rep on the line. YOU HAVE HAD AT LEAST 5 MINUTES ON THE PHONE WITH ME FIRST TO HANG UP! You say no, that's to the offer NOT ME, you hang up, it's hanging up on the company NOT ME! AS long as people are gullable and ignorant in the times of information, I will seperate you from your money.

Next time you talk to me I WILL be calling youYOU to repo.

your car...Forclose on your house or collect a debt, Please don't be that *** too. I make good money in these hard times..

After reading your disturbing post, and the sleazy comment from ME, I'm pretty sure I won't be contacting NME. Thanks for the info!

I work for this company..and have for a few years . You the consumer agree to the charges ..you must say YES on a recording before we can put this thru as a sale..At no time are you told the magazines are FREE..it is stated 1.29 per month...which I do have to say for 10 magazines for one year of service is only 67.08..You HAVE to agree that that is a GREAT value...I do have to say it is very upsetting to read about the company I work for on this sites..as I KNOW we do NOT charge peoples cards with out their agreeing to it. Consumers do need to LISTEN more carefully..as we do have to recieve a YES in order to process the payment

View more comments (2)
ID
#120645 Review #120645 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Pasadena, California
National Magazine Exchange Subscription

I'm over 10 prescribed when NME caught me in a weak moment.

This company (NME) should be stopped by the U.S. Attorney general! Why it has been in business for so many years is anybody's guess. What I did to stop them from using my Debit card any more was to cancel the card. They will still be paid on the due date with a Postal Money Order. I don't care if they like it or not but if they refuse payment by doing this, than I no longer owe them the debt. There are many State and Federal laws concerning refusing payment. It took me too many years to establish my good credit to chance it of being ransacked by the likes of National Magazine Exchange. Yes I am on a lot of medications and that caught me at a weak moment, but I am no pushover. I now owe the debt and I'm sure they have a very busy legal dept. So I'll just make them busyer,even though They'll just be spinning there wheels.

These people took advantage of my elderly mother in very misleading phone call and I AM PISSED!! Oh, they will be hearing from our attorney!!

What a bunch of low life, scamming monsters. :(

#193381

Whew! That\'s scary, folks, whaddaya think?

We are told not to listen to the customer and just get their caller I.D number and intice them to be a swwepsakes winner. The game is get the customer to dream they could be the next sweepstakes winner.

After they sart to dream they can win the money they order the magazines.

They throw away employees like toilet tissue because once you work there a week or so you see that they are a ligitimate scame targeting the old. :(

karlablanck, Learn *** to spell. Half the *** you wrote made no since...You need a beter school if you are a student.atleast that what i think you said..

I work here to and let me tell you this hole place is a sham and these people that say they have benn here for years it is olny decause no one else will hire them. I took the job thinking it was differant and I am on my way uot of here next week.

I can see now why other countries say were are ***! I just don't know why any one would call a one 800 # that came in the mail who does that?Do the smart thing and get out and for god sake dont call numbers on juck mail

there will be no problem at all with you paying by money order as long as it is before your billing due date. Yes I work for this company and it is NOT A SCAM !!!! :)

:eek geez jest cpz i wanted to wrk w/my beau & formerone they wouldn't let me stay their..... :eek to mk mnrs worser they clkd me out n ddn' pay worth *** when i was on shift. they cheated me outta $ tell me doez this make sdentts to u out there readn thia msg

View more comments (6)